Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: The Rules

The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
Title: The Rules
Author: Stacey Kade
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 416
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
 
“The trouble with rules, though, is that you'll always be tempted to break one- for the right reasons, due to unavoidable circumstances, because it feels as if there's no other choice. And once you break one, the rest seem like so much broken glass. The damage is already done.”
Stacey Kade, The Rules
 
Review:
    The Rules written by Stacey Kade really caught me by surprise. I'm usually not very into books in the sci-fi genre but I will admit something about this one made me love it.

    The Rules follows the story of Ariane Tucker. Ariane was an experiment (half alien, half human) at a company called GTX. She was held captive there for years until a security guard helped her escape. Now in present day she is living with the security guard who saved her from GTX and going to high school like any normal teenage girl. But what Ariane has to go through is far from normal. She has a set of rules she always goes by to make sure to stay under the radar and not get discovered by GTX. This all works perfectly for Ariane until Zane Bradshaw steps into her life. Zane and Ariane originally team up together to get back at the mean girl at school. But along the way they fall head over heels for each other. As a result Ariane starts to break all her rules. And before she knows it things will be revealed that will make Ariane realize that nothing is at it seems and that she is in danger more than ever before.

    I was hesitant to read this book at first since I don't usually read sci-fi but I am so glad I took a chance on it because I ended getting completely engrossed in this book. One of the things that I think pulled me in was the main character, Ariane. She was a strong female heroine but at the same time she had inner turmoil. I liked this about her because she could be a badass chick but then you could also relate to her. Zane was also a great factor in this book. He showed that on the outside somebody may look like they have the best life possible but on the inside they still have troubles, just like everyone else. Zane was a tough but somewhat shy guy at points and I liked that about him. I also loved that this book was written in alternating point of views. It allowed you to see the story from all aspects and helped you get a better grasp on the world the book took place in.

    I thought that Stacey Kade wrote the book brilliantly too. There was a lot of stuff going on in this book and a lot of crazy scenarios but she wrote it in a way that was not over the top. She also wrote it so it was a real page turner but not in a way that the plot moved too fast or was overwhelming. Her way of writing made it intriguing but easy to follow.

    This book was a perfect dose of every thing. It is a mixture of sci-fi but also coming of age, and it had a complicated romance with intrigue and action weaving it all together. This book kept me turning the page non stop till the end and now I'm so mad I have to wait to read more. I will be counting down the days till the next book, so I can read what happens next!

    Stacey Kade has now converted me into reading more Sci-fi because of how good this book was. I highly recommend it to any reader out there no matter what genres you prefer. You will love it, I guarantee.


 
4 Stars ****

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book to and I am looking forward to the next. Great review.

    ReplyDelete